Frequently asked questions:
At UPTOWN, we have several years of expertise in authentication of all luxury brands. See who we are here.
– We are registered with the Swiss Registry of Commerce under article I 2 09.01 for re-sale of second-hand items. This is required by law! Beware of hobbyists or amateur re-sellers that do not follow the law, are not registered with the state and the police.
– All our clients undergo a personal vetting process in store and we know the origins of our items.
– Unlike other most online platforms, UPTOWN experts individually and physically authenticate EVERY item before it goes on sale online or in our store.
– All our Hermès bags are verified by the owners (with experience working at Hermes) as well as an Hermès sellier.
– All our Chanel bags are verified by an in-house bag authenticator.
– We reject any fake or suspicious items and they never go on sale. Obvious counterfeit is reported to the police.
– We provide a DOWNTOWN UPTOWN certificate of authenticity for all bags, jewellery and accessories and automatically for all items sold online over 1’000chf (for clothes and shoes on request).
Counterfeiting supports organised crime and we work to combat this and to educate people about it. (See the Interpol efforts here – Mrs Uptown has cooperated with UN agencies, governments and Interpol on counter-trafficking policy and operations. So we know what we are talking about ) We are registered with the state and the police as a second-hand seller.
Many online stores say they ‘guarantee’ authenticity, but they are merely stating that IF they discover that fake or counterfeit or replica copies are sold on their platform, they take steps to remove them. ‘Signing’ the <Charter for the Fight against Counterfeiting on the Internet> also does not guarantee authenticity, as is is simply a voluntary MoU for businesses and others to pledge.
As most online platforms are populated by external sellers, the products are only verified AFTER sale by the host platform. We have seen counterfeit products on other online platforms. (Of course there are no guarantees in social media online selling groups either, even if a ‘receipt’ is provided, as these can also be faked).
Be reassured! Buy from UPTOWN.
We inspect every item twice. Once when we receive it and it undergoes authentication and second when we prepare the item for photos.
To explain the condition of the item, we rank them as New/Mint/Excellent/Very Good or Good and (occasionally) Fair. We do not accept items that are badly worn, scratched, marked or over-used. An exception might be a rare vintage piece. We explain the condition at the bottom of each information section under the item photos.
From September 2018, we also use numbers (x out of 10) as this is now becoming standard practice, however don’t forget it is subjective!
We rank the condition as follows:
New with tags (10/10): Store fresh! Never used/worn. Tags still attached or all original packaging just as it came from the original brand shop.
Mint (10/10): May have been tried on, but no different from someone trying on in a store. For shoes, they may have been worn briefly on carpet at home. Absolutely impossible to detect!
New (9-10/10): Never used/worn. Some new pieces may have a fault from storage, or have a manufacturing fault, which typically disappears with use – we will indicate this.
Excellent (9/10): Used or worn once or a few times. No obvious signs of wear. May have a small mark or flaw, or light wear on shoes soles, which isn’t detectable when worn.
Very Good (8/10): Pre-loved, but looked after! May have light wear (eg corners for bags) or a small fault (beading missing, small mark on clothes), or wear on soles (shoes) but which is not obvious when worn.
Good (6-7/10): Some signs of wear, particularly for older/vintage pieces. Marks or scuffs on bags, wear in material for clothes, very worn soles for shoes.
Fair (5/10): obvious wear/love! Has marks, scratches, maybe some holes or some repairs done. Only very few (10 or so) of our items have this ranking. Mainly as they are interesting collector vintage pieces.
We provide detailed information and photos about each item to ensure that you are satisfied and the fit is correct. See here.
We accept :
– credit cards (Visa or Mastercard only);
– PostFinance card (Switzerland only);
– PostFinance bank transfer (Switzerland only)
– international bank transfer (you will receive an email after placing your order with transfer instructions. Please note that the order will be automatically cancelled if we do not receive the payment in 2 working days).
(We do NOT use Paypal anymore due to too many incidents of fraud and buyer’s remorse – sorry!).
Majority of our items of high value (OVER 500chf) are sent by DHL for delivery.
Estimated delivery times: Switzerland, EU: same/next day.
Canada, USA: next working day.
Eastern Europe, Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, China, Russia, New Zealand, Australia: 2-3 working days.
For other Asia, Africa, Middle East, South & Latin America, Pacific: 3-5 working days.
We send the majority of clothes/shoes and smaller value items (under 500chf) registered, tracked and insured via Swisspost Priority. Estimated delivery times:
Switzerland: next working day.
Germany, France, 2-3 working days.
Rest of the EU: 4-5 working days.
Canada: 3-6 working days.
USA, China: 5-8 working days.
Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, Australia: 6-10 working days.
Other Asia, Russia, Eastern Europe, Africa, Middle East, South & Latin America, Pacific: all items are sent via DHL – see above.
If you are outside of Switzerland, you do not pay Swiss tax of 7.7%. Thus the recipient will have to pay customs (tax), depending on your country’s regulations. This amount is based on the value of the item, minus shipping costs, as declared upon sending the item. Please check via the customs website of your country for the percentage and fees that you are required to pay. Please be aware that you may need to pay customs on pickup or before pickup of your item at your country’s postal depot or to DHL.
More detailed information is in our terms and conditions.
Unfortunately there are no refunds nor exchanges, as we sell on behalf of clients, whom are paid once the item is bought.
There are no risks at DOWNTOWN UPTOWN! We are an established company registered in Switzerland. All are items are authenticated, physically in our boutique and our payment system is secure. Delivery is made by registered post or delivery company and insured.
– We are dedicated to our business with many years of experience in the luxury fashion industry! We are not on-the-side re-sellers. Our business is our livelihood and integrity, thus we provide you exemplary knowledge, service and products, backed by a physical store.
– If you buy online through individuals that are not registered and sell on social media platforms, or anyone who has set up a hobby-store webpage, you risk buying counterfeit, copy or stolen items. Plus, you are not dealing with professionals!
– We are registered with the Swiss Registry of Commerce under article I 2 09.01 for re-sale of second-hand items, as well as with the Canton of Geneva police. This is required by law! Beware of hobbyists or amateur re-sellers that do not follow the law, and are not registered with the state and the police.
– All our clients undergo a personal vetting process in store and we know the origins of our items.
– It is also required by law to pay taxes, and record the identity of people who sell and re-sell items. This protects the buyer and stops a black market growing. We do so!
DOWNTOWN UPTOWN staff set the prices of the items.
There are no set rules on second-hand pricing. Variations means that it takes an expert to set a price that is appropriate.
Unlike individual sellers on social-media, or other large online shop sites for second hand, we set the pricing from our years of expertise (not by the seller or a computer generated algorithm!).
We ensure that the price reflects the value and condition of the item as well as market demand.
On occasion, we reserve the right to have items on the website on sale for our online customers. (The items may not be on sale in the boutique).
ERP = Estimated Retail Price. That is, the price if you bought the same or similar the item, new from the brand store or affiliated retailer.
Buyers need to understand that new luxury goods, especially bags, can be at different prices worldwide, dependant on import/export, taxes and customs duties and other factors. Hence, a new bag of a certain model can retail at different prices in different countries. Furthermore, if comparing prices globally, you must take into account differing currency exchange rates & customs duties….
We aim to make it easier for you. The ERP on our site is calculated through several factors. Price new in the year it was issued, often adjusted with inflation, to reflect today’s market prices. This is particularly the case for items over a few years old.
For vintage items, the “ERP” reflects the value of the item also. Thus, if it is a collector piece, both the ERP and the selling price, will reflect its value and collectability value as well.
Some of the larger online second hand stores now provide a “price calculator”. This is done through a calculated algorithm of past buyers and sellers pricing. Computers do not have the human knowledge factor. Our difference is that we calculate based on physical knowledge of the product AND its condition & value (as all are items are physically in store).
Rest assured, we find the best value for both the buyer and seller.
Selling is easy and risk-free. You bring items to us to sell and once sold, we take a commission and you receive cash. WE do all the hard work of photographing, displaying and advertising the item, serving the customer, answering questions and shipping the item. You just sit back and relax! See our consign page for how to do it and our detailed terms and conditions.